Sunday, July 02, 2006

Does Hogan Really"Know Best"?


Recently, I stayed up until almost dawn watching t.v. Half of that time was spent watching probably the best reality t.v show there is, "Hogan Knows Best". After about 3 1/2 episodes, I started to wonder, does Hogan really know what is best for us? So I have been dwelling on this.

To start this off, I would like to add that I know more about Hulk Hogan than I do on some other subjects, such as physics and astronomy. Besides the point that astronomy is as useful in the "real world" as knowledge of a pro-wrestler's personal life, it made me wonder more philosophically about pop culture. For example, did you know that instead of George Foreman making millions off the mini-grill with his name on it, it could of been Hogan? Yes, this could have been Hogan if he didn't have to take his kids to school that day and missed the phone call saying they wanted him for it. So instead, he got stuck with the Hulk Hogan Blender.

With that bit of pop culture trivia, I will now go back to the less interesting stuff. The information that won't help you on "Millionaire" or "Win Ben Stein's Money". That's right, the fact that more and more people are becoming book stupid. People need to read actual books; no not Harry Potter or Playboy(yes, I know you don't actually read them). Even supposed intelligent television is gone after the History Channel started airing 22 hour segments of U.F.O. "supposed" fact and Discovery stopped animal mating shows and put on shows about two guys proving the obviousness of people's stupidity with urban myths.


Some suggestions for intelligent reading would be: the Dictionary, Plato's The Republic, The Alphabet of Manliness, world history text books, science text books, The Zombie Survival Guide(it will happen sometime), and Puuda Maggui's Guide to Everything

(If you have an answer to my original question, let me know.)

5 comments:

Puuda Maggui said...

Before I answer about the book, I will ask you a question too. Do you think Plato answer right when asked this following question: "a friend loaned his "weapon" to you, but wants it back so he can kill another person. Would you give it back to him, because it is morally his or not give it back, because it would immoral to allow him to kill another?"

Puuda Maggui said...

Then I HAVE read the book :)

Dr Kuha said...

In like the 1950s there was sort of a renaisance for fiction writers. Particuarly sci-fi. Everyone and their mother had at least one subscription to one literary journal or another.

Not so anymore. I recommend Analog though.

jbwritergirl said...

'The Alphabet of Manliness'

I'm intrigued as my mind slides straight towards the gutter.

JB

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»