Friday, June 23, 2006

Wearing a "Dark Side of the Moon" T-shirt Does NOT Make You Cool


Within the last 4 years or so, classic rock band shirts have come back into style. I think that is great, but not for true fans of these legenday bands. A majority of these shirts are worn by little middle-schooler wannabe conformists. Not to get off the subject, but just wanted to let everyone know I will try to never use the words conformist, conformists, or umm... any other word that has the the beginning word "conform" in it due to the fact that it has been overused by hypocriticsl (another blog to be written soon). Anyways, a classic t-shirt that has been killed by these wannabes, for example, would be Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".

I have no problem with true fans wearing these t-shirts, but most people who I usually see wearing them don't even have a clue what most of Pink Floyd's songs are about. One of my friends tested this awhile ago by randomly walking up to one of these middle-schoolers and started a conversation with him. When my friend started asking him why he liked Dark Side of the Moon, the little poser got stumped. Only thing the kid could say was that he liked the song "Money" and he walked away.

I find it to be a type of abuse to wear a band's t-shirt just because you like one song out of their entire work. It would make sense if you were a Vanilla Ice fan, since he really only has one song. The likes of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin fandom has been stretched so much that by saying that you like either one of them, you would get the same "duh" response as if you said you like food and air. Now, I agree that those two bands are some of the best songwriters in rock, ever. Yet, I do not wear their shirts all the time, or very often.

Some of you may ask "What bands do you like?" Well, personally I think AC/DC and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the two greatest hard rock bands of all time. Then again, for those people who know me, I don't wear their apparel very often. I could wear an AC/DC tee everyday, but I don't because so many other people do already. Yet, that isn't as bad though, because who doesn't like AC/DC?

So next time you see someone who is wearing a t-shirt/sweatshirt/hat of a classic rock band and they don't look like they actually care about the band, don't encourage them. Call him/her one of the most hurtful names for impressionable people like them; Tool, Conformist, or Poser. If he/she is a true fan, then those won't affect them.

1 comment:

talk said...

Thanks for joining my million linky...hope you visit often :-)