Monday, June 19, 2006

Furries Are Among Us!



A friend first told me about furries a while ago. At first I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. As I researched "furries" more, I realized "Furry Fandom" was more mainstream than I thought, and it surprised me. So I decided to summarize " Furry" ways. The picture above can be found on Wikipedia under Furry Fandom.

DEFINITION: A "furry" is someone who likes to dress up as an animal or just has very strong fascination of animals that act, dress, and talk like humans.

APPEARANCES: A furry's appearance is vast and changing. A furry's most common appearance is that of feline and canine, but have been known to have the appearances of platyhelminthes and protists. The furry also has the ability to use camouflage to blend in to the surroundings of their birth(cities,town, etc.) as regular people.

HABITAT: The habitat of a furry is very similar to a Trekkie. They sometimes live in the home of their non-furry parents collecting/reading/watching everything that has talking animals. Where most people see furries is that of their secondary homes, the Convention Center. This is where the furry most often shows his/her true form.

LANGUAGE: Most furries understand the language of their countrymen, but also have their own language too. They usually speak "Furrienese" online. Here is a sample of an online chat.

xxMr.Whiskersxx-LOL MEOW! Going to MEOW expo MEOW tomorrow?

MyUtterLife360-MOOOOOONOOOO! Wish I could, MOO, but MOOOm needs me to help MOOOve some furniture..

So next time you see a guy running down the street in a monkey outfit, you will know what you just saw was a furry.....or a crazy guy, or a salesman with a gimmick. Either way, you know that you should just head back inside and call Animal Control and laugh about it with friends and family.

P.S.- Furries are NOT to be mistaken for their relatives "Furverts", who are more prone to be in the outfits for sexual reasons and may pose as a threat, unlike furries who are just like theme park animals(except they're aren't being payed) and can be safe to pet.

3 comments:

Dr Kuha said...

Hahaha!

avocadoinparadise said...

Very funny. I heard a different definition of the whole thing from some psychologists recently though. They said that "furries" are people who like to do sexual things with other people who are dressed up as furry animals. They also talked about "fuzzies" and made a case that the two were different, but I don't remember how! (Strange thing to forget I know, since it is such an interesting topic!)

Puuda Maggui said...

Yea, I think they got Furry and Furvert mixed up. I had a nightmare a Furvert, he was dressed as a fox...